Sunday, February 10, 2013

Truffle Shuffle is DONE!!!

So I did it!  Today was the Truffle Shuffle 2 mile walk!  Okay, I know 2 miles isn't really that far, but I tell you what, when you aren't used to walking that far, it is.  I was accompanied by my friends from work, Crystal and Leslie.  These two women are amazing!  They cheered me on like nobody's business and kept me smiling through the whole thing!  Never at any point did they make me feel like I was holding them back, and I appreciate that more than they will ever know!
                                                     Here we are just before race time!

We got there a little early to pick up our packets which included our number bib, and some information about the organization they were raising money for (Big Brothers and Big Sisters).  Once we all got our numbers situated, we moseyed around, checking out all the people that were there, and trying to get psyched up.  They started the 2 mile runners, then we were up.  The 4 mile runners go last.  I don't know why.  You would think they'd get them on their way first, then the 2 mile runners, then the walkers...oh well.  The walk was beautiful, along the bike paths of Track Town, USA.  I think I even saw Steve Prefontaine's twin at the event!

I'm not going to lie when I say that my left foot was killing me the whole time, and about 1/3 of the way through my right ankle started to cramp up too, but we took small breaks, and kept on.  The group in front of us cut through early, thereby cheating, so we smoked them in the end.  This is where the jogging started for me.  Yes, I said it.  JOGGING!!!  I wanted to pass this lady so bad.  I didn't want to be beat by someone who cheated.  Also, I didn't want to be in dead last.  So we started walking fast, then I started jogging super slow.  It felt much better on my feet and ankles, which is weird, but whatever!  I went with it.  I  got a dirty look from them, but didn't care.  They were the cheaters! I know it wasn't a race or anything but I was feeling good!  

We could see the finish line, and Crystal started hauling ass up to the finish line so she could take a picture of me crossing the finish line for my blog...she's so sweet!!!  Here are a couple of pictures of me and Leslie crossing the finish line:



I just have to say I couldn't do it without them.  I would have been so nervous for this first even if it weren't for them.  Quite frankly, I probably would have never had the wherewithal to start jogging my big ass down to the finish line either if they hadn't told me I could do it.  I am so proud of myself, and I am so proud of those ladies too, for doing this today.  Now I have the 5k coming up next Saturday, and I'm totally looking forward to it  I will be rocking out to my music on my iPod, and aiming for a time under 90 minutes.  I know it will get better and better, and I hope to keep doing a 5k a month.  Someday I'll get up to a 10k, then someday a half marathon, then a marathon...in time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note!

10 Months Post Op

It's been a long time since I've updated.  A lot has happened and not much has happened all at the same time.  I'm at 243 pounds...