Sunday, April 28, 2013

Finished Another 5k!

I finished my third 5k this year!  I had previously decided this year I would complete at least one 5k event, and shortly after finishing the 2 mile Truffle Shuffle that kicked this whole thing off, I decided I was going to complete one 5k event every single month this year...yes, I know I am crazy!  I love doing the event.  Thinking about it, talking about it, doing it (even if my poor walking partner has to hear me bitch and moan a little bit, okay a lot).  Here I am before the 5k:

                                                                        Me

 I was sort of hesitant to pick this one because it was associated with the annual marathon, so I figured it would be a fat chicks nightmare and like my first 5k experience which was NOT awesome.  I did start off strong, and while I was in the back, was with my friend and a group of people, however, I was totally clueless about the two hills that I would be climbing during the event!  I couldn't believe it!  So yeah, that really sucked!  I know that if there hadn't been those two hills and I hadn't rode my exercise bike for 10 miles the night before, I would have probably had a time closer to 55 minutes or something like that.  

The weather couldn't have been more perfect.  The sun was shining, it was cool but not cold, it was totally dry (amazing for April), and I was ready to do work.



I had these major anxieties the morning of the event about being last, not being able to finish because I was too weak, exhausted or whatever...but I was really motivated to do it.  I also didn't want to get to the finishing line and not have anyone there.  

Around mile 1.5, we started to be followed by a motorcycle officer since we were at the back of the pack.  OMG Humiliating!  Revving his little BMW motorcycle engine vroom vroom to try to stay upright while going about 3 mph for almost 2 miles!  Poor copper!  Every time we passed one of the people at a turn who was guarding cones and directing participants, I got to hear him pull over and tell the person we were the last ones and they could pack up and open the street for cars.  Boy, let me tell you, after hearing that about 10 times...it really starts to get to you!  I felt like I couldn't even stop to catch my breath or take a break because I felt like I would be ruining his day or something.  At one point on the 2nd hill I had to stop to bring my heart rate back down a bit...he starts asking me if I was okay, was I sure, etc.  I was horrified.  I just looked at him and told him I was fine.  He didn't look like he believed me so I just let him know I had a lot to move so bear with me!




Finally when we got to here, the motorcycle cop didn't follow me into the track!  I was able to go the last .1 miles without a tail!  We even jogged a little bit to get the feeling of what it was like to run track at Hayward Field!


Finishing Time: 1 hr 03 mins 45 sec

My hubby and sweet boy even showed up to watch us finish!  This is a picture they took of us crossing over the finish line in Historic Hayward Field. I was trying to get my phone out to take a picture of the finishing time, but it didn't work out well.  I would have had a more graceful finish picture if I could have!

Overall, it was a great event, it was a beautiful day, and I was glad I did it.  I already have a 6k planned for two weeks from now!
Stay Tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note!

10 Months Post Op

It's been a long time since I've updated.  A lot has happened and not much has happened all at the same time.  I'm at 243 pounds...