Thursday, April 11, 2013

STRESS!!! Not a pity party, just a vent!

Again, I'm not here for a pity party, I just have to vent some things out. 
Hot topics in my brain are:

1. Money Money Money!!!  It's all consuming isn't it?  It's amazing how much control this has in our lives! Dealing with student loans (this will be another line item itself), credit cards, home loans, to buy or not buy a new car, can I afford days off when vacation runs out, etc, etc, etc!!!  I'm so tired of money having so much control over my life!  I know it wouldn't if I didn't have so much debt, but I'm just like millions out there: barely making it, working full time, paying too many bills, groceries are too expensive, no savings, blah blah blah.  I'm not whining.  I'm just frustrated with how trapped I feel by my lack of money.  I'm working hard to make a business more successful so hopefully I can climb out of debt, but until that happens, I'm barely cutting even.  Not EVEN.  Less than even.

2.  My (current) college education is a JOKE.  I find myself coming back to this nonsense frequently.  Maybe it's some sort of punishment that I live in a college town.  Or maybe it's a sign that I need to live in some podunk city somewhere that doesn't have college graduates leaking from every orifice.  I paid $25,000 to get an education that I am doing nothing with.  At all.  I'm working in a job that doesn't require a 4 year degree, especially a degree in Sociology.  I don't want to cast blame on anyone other than myself for not doing more research when going in to college, but the counselor told me that to be a Social Worker, it would be great for me to major in Sociology and Minor in Spanish.  I gave up the Spanish portion, but went with Sociology.  What she really should have told me was that I should enroll in the Human Services program, because you gain much more experience, and interning is part of the program.  But she didn't.  All I did was a work study type job for 1 year, less than part time, but didn't get me the experience I needed for a Social Worker job.  Not for one minute did she consider sending me to another department to get counseled. Nor did she suggest I make it a point to do a bunch of interning so I could gain experience in the field.  BUT, like I said, I guess I am ultimately responsible since I'm the one that just went with it.  Kind of a LOT disappointing that I've been out of college going on 5 years now, I'm extremely in debt to the US Department of Education, and couldn't get a job as a social worker, even entry level, to save my life!!!

3.  Career.  I work full time in a job I normally would never have applied for.  I'm not knocking my job at all, and I'm not naming any company names, but overall, I'm in the wrong line of work.  I appreciate those that want to stay in this line of work, but for me, this isn't the "helping people" that I thought it would be.  More often than not, I'm feeling bristled, and offended, and surprised at how people treat me on the phone.  I can think of a few different positions within the company I would be interested in, however, this doesn't really make up for the fact that my true love is Social Services.  I'm in a crappy position when it comes to trying to get into my chosen field, because after about 10 group interviews to get a Social Worker job, I've seen that experience is key, and I don't have it.  But I also don't have time to go volunteer my time each week to gain experience.  So what do I do?  I consider an online Masters degree program, or a Marriage and Family Therapy program.  I really would love to do both, but feel I would have a better chance of employment if I did the MFT.  Although, I did find a Social Work program that sounds decent too...I just don't want to add more money to my loan.  BUT again, if I did the program and got a Social Work job, I'd make a bunch more money than I do now, and could pay off the loan a bit faster, as well as my other debts.  And yet, I don't really like the idea of going back to school again and trying to work full time!  I am so sick of starting over and over and over with different jobs.  I recently read an article about a kid who had 25 jobs by the time he was 25.  Story of my life!  Why can't I just find a great job that I will retire from?

These are just my biggest manic issues right now...LOL!  All the time I'm thinking about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note!

10 Months Post Op

It's been a long time since I've updated.  A lot has happened and not much has happened all at the same time.  I'm at 243 pounds...